Adolescent Gynecology Services
The physicians at Women’s Specialists of Plano provide pediatric gynecology and adolescent gynecology services, covering a wide range of genetic malformations and other disorders or issues. Adolescent gynecologic issues may arise from problems present since birth, or may develop as the child grows, such as the delay or absence of breast growth and menstrual periods. The physicians will prioritize both the medical care and emotional support of the young gynecology patient at our Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas area office.
Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Problems
- Bladder exstrophy: The child is born with the bladder outside of the body, which also disrupts the placement of other pelvic organs. This can predispose the patient to prolapse.
- Imperforate hymen: A blocked vaginal opening.
- Androgen insensitivity and other chromosome problems
- Mullerian anomalies: Any abnormal growth or placement of the reproductive organs, including the absence of uterus.
Adolescent Developmental Disorders
- Precocious puberty: Abnormally early development
- Primary amenorrhea: Delayed or absent onset of menstrual periods
Other Adolescent Gynecologic Problems
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Labial agglutination/fusion/adhesions
- Vulvar or vaginal skin conditions
- Ovarian cysts
Most of these issues are easily treatable, but they should be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible to avoid the development of more serious conditions. Usually the initial exam will be external only, and if further examination is required, it might be done under anesthesia. Types of procedures that may be recommended due to initial findings may include: cystoscopy, vaginoscopy, vulvar biopsy.
If you live in the Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas area and would like more information on adolescent gynecology or pediatric gynecology services, please contact the Women’s Specialists of Plano office today.