Pregnancy Aches & Pains Overview
Pregnancy is such a wonderful time for countless women in the Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas area. Unfortunately, pregnancy aches and pains are quite common and have the ability to cause a significant amount of discomfort at times. The Plano obstetricians at Women’s Specialists of Plano visit with future moms-to-be each day about the most common pains, including heartburn, headaches and muscle pain during pregnancy. The WSOP team is here to help pregnant women find relief when aches and pains become more than just an annoyance.
Lower Back Pain, Heartburn, Headaches and Muscle Pain During Pregnancy
While many pregnancy aches and pains impact almost every future mother, it does not mean they are not uncomfortable when they occur on an almost daily basis. Body aches during pregnancy are a common complaint, and they are usually just signs of the body changing, growing a baby and preparing for childbirth.
Here is a list of the most common pregnancy aches and pains:
- Heartburn- Many future moms report a burning sensation in the chest after eating. Heartburn, or acid reflux, is caused by the hormonal and physical changes that occur during pregnancy.
- Hemorrhoids- These swollen blood vessels in the rectal area are often itchy, painful and cause rectal bleeding during a bowel movement.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome- Typically caused by repetitive wrist and hand motions, this condition is fairly common in pregnant women because of extra fluids and swelling.
- Headaches- Tension headaches are especially common during the first trimester and are classified as a squeezing pain or steady, dull ache on both sides of the head.
- Lower back pain- Pain in the lower back is very common in pregnant women because the lower back, pelvis and buttocks must adjust to the hormonal changes and expanding belly.
- Round ligament pain- This brief, stabbing, sharp pain in the lower belly or groin starting in the second trimester seems scary, but it is usually harmless and goes away after changing positions or with rest.
- Muscle cramps- Muscle pain during pregnancy most often occurs in the lower extremities, especially in the calves. These muscle pains are associated with carrying more body weight, dehydration, nerve compression and changes in circulation or blood flow.
When Should a Woman Experiencing Pregnancy Aches & Pains Visit with a Plano Obstetrician?
The Plano obstetricians at Women’s Specialists of Plano often recommend discussing general body aches with no other symptoms, such as muscle pain, headaches and lower back pain, at the next prenatal visit. If other symptoms (rash, fever or sore throat) are present, we highly recommend a patient requests an appointment.
Muscle pain during pregnancy and other common aches are typically treated with Tylenol, rest, warm showers, massage and simple exercises.
If you live in the Plano, Frisco and Dallas, Texas communities and would like additional information on pregnancy aches and pains or muscle pain during pregnancy, please contact the Plano obstetricians at Women’s Specialists of Plano.